Michael Holding, the former West Indies tearaway fast bowler-turned commentator, has reckoned that the decision taken by Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer as ‘unfortunate’ but understandable given the state of affairs as far as COVID-19 is concerned.
Last week, Cricket West Indies had announced a 15-member squad for next month’s three-match Test series against England where the troika of Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul had made themselves unavailable, citing adverse effects on their family if they travel to the United Kingdom at this point in time.
Michael Holding termed it as ‘unfortunate’ and reckoned that the West Indies will duly miss the talent of the trio, as they seek to defend the Wisden Trophy.
“I think it’s unfortunate as far as West Indies cricket is concerned. I’m not going to tell anyone that they should be going to England because COVID-19 is around, someone may get sick or even worse. But at the same time, I think it’s unfortunate for the West Indies team because these guys have quite a bit of talent, and they’ll be missed.” said Michael Holding during an interview on his Youtube channel.
Michael Holding on Darren Bravo and Shimron Hetmyer giving the England tour a miss
Michael Holding particularly singled out Darren Bravo as he thinks that the England series would have been a great opportunity for the veteran middle-order batsman to cement his place in the West Indies team, after having been dropped for the one-off Test against Afghanistan last November.
“I’m sorry that Bravo in particular isn’t going because Bravo, I think, needs to resuscitate his career. I think the more cricket he can play now, especially for West Indies, the better chance he has of getting back on track and showing everyone the great player that he could be,” said Michael Holding.
Holding also reckoned that Shimron Hetmyer would have benefited from the tour of England.
“Hetmyer, again, I think he’s a very, very talented player. Again, I’m sorry that he’s not going so that he can get more opportunities to express himself. But I ain’t blaming them for not going.” Michael Holding added.
West Indies will play three Test matches against England at two bio-secure centers in Southampton and Manchester, starting July 08.