Table of Contents
Australia could make major changes to their top order for the second Test against Bangladesh after suffering a shock nine-wicket defeat in Darwin. Marnus Labuschagne and Jake Weatherald are reportedly in danger of losing their places in the playing XI after failing to make a significant contribution with the bat in the series opener.
Jake Weatherald managed scores of 23 and 0, while Marnus Labuschagne made only 1 and 31 as Australia were outplayed by Bangladesh. With the second Test scheduled to be played in Mackay, the Australian selectors could turn to Matt Renshaw as they look to strengthen a struggling batting order.
Australia could drop Marnus Labuschagne, Jake Weatherald for 2nd Test vs Bangladesh
According to reports, Matt Renshaw is set for a recall to the Test team with Jake Weatherald to be dropped.
— CricBlog ✍ (@cric_blog) August 17, 2026
Marnus Labuschagne is also in danger of being dropped from the XI for the 2nd Test in Mackay.#AUSvBAN
Weatherald and Labuschagne came into the Bangladesh series under scrutiny and did little to ease the pressure in the opening Test. Jake Weatherald, who made his Test debut during the Ashes, scored 23 in the first innings before being dismissed for a duck in the second. The opener has managed only one fifty in his Test career, with his average now standing at 20.36 after 12 innings.
Marnus Labuschagne has also failed to produce the
consistency expected from an experienced batter. He scored only 259 runs at an average of 28.77 during the last home summer and has not registered a Test century since the 2023 Ashes series.
According to reports in Australian media, Matt Renshaw is in line for a Test recall, with Weatherald likely to make way. Labuschagne is also reportedly in danger of losing his spot after his underwhelming performances in Darwin.
Renshaw trained with the Australian squad in Brisbane before the Bangladesh series. The left-hander enjoyed an impressive Sheffield Shield campaign last summer, averaging 49.90 across six appearances.
Also Read: Australia vs Bangladesh Test history: All match results after Bangladesh’s historic win in Darwin
He’s making life very difficult for himself and Marnus - Mark Waugh on Jake Weatherald
Former Australia batter Mark Waugh believes Australia's biggest concerns from the Darwin defeat came with the bat, particularly at the top of the order. Speaking on Fox Cricket, Waugh backed Australia's bowlers to improve but highlighted the lack of runs from Weatherald and Labuschagne.
“Australia bowled better than they batted in this game. They’ll be better for the run a lot of the bowlers.”
Waugh then identified Jake Weatherald and Marnus Labuschagne as the two batters under the most pressure.
“It’s really about the batting. The top three. Okay, we’ll leave Travis Head there for the moment. I don’t think he’s an opener, but anyway, he’s going to open. It’s Jake Weatherald and Marnus Labuschagne. Those guys need runs. There’s no doubt about it.”
He also questioned whether both players had been given a limited opportunity to prove themselves. Waugh was particularly concerned by Weatherald's approach at the crease.
“I’m just wondering whether the selectors have said them to before this Test: ‘okay, you’ve got these two Test matches to prove your spot in the team’.”
“I’m concerned about Jake Weatherald. Looking at him, he’s trying to tinker with his technique. I think there’s lot of things going on in his head. He’s making life very difficult for himself and Marnus, we said he batted better in the second innings. But he could have been out earlier a number of times. He hasn’t made big runs for a while. He’s got runs in the bank, which is sort of keeping him in the side.”
To my eye, you’ve got Matt Renshaw and Nathan McSweeney - Mark Waugh
Mark Waugh believes Jake Weatherald is more likely to be dropped than Marnus Labuschagne, although he feels both players are under pressure heading into the second Test.
“I think it’s a 50/50 call on these guys for the next Test. I think Weatherald’s probably the one in the biggest danger. Marnus, I’d give him another go. It’s pretty bad planning if you haven’t got your guys next in line (ready)," he added.
Mark Waugh suggested that Australia should consider specialist top-order options rather than simply moving players around the batting order.
“Josh Inglis is in this squad. Is he the next in line? To my eye, you’ve got Matt Renshaw and Nathan McSweeney. I’d have them two (ahead of Inglis).”
He further warned that dropping both Weatherald and Labuschagne could have serious consequences for their Test careers. Waugh stated:
“If Weatherald and Marnus go, they’re not coming back. As a selector, you know that’s the end of their career at Test level.”